Benefits for Faculty and Staff
The Be Better initiative is a leadership framework for connecting students with high-impact practices to help them develop as leaders and be more successful while at the University of Iowa and after they graduate. Be Better assists students in articulating what they learn at the University of Iowa using an evidence-based common language. Using the CliftonStrengths online assessment and Student Leadership Competencies (SLCs) will support this specific goal. In addition the initiative may:
- help students know the value of what is learned from a class/major/experience
- increase enrollment in affiliated classes and participation in specific co-curricular experiences
- increase number of declared majors for departments based on their connection to competency development
- help students articulate what they gain from their major/minor/certificate
Become Involved in Be Better
Faculty and staff interested in implementing Be Better can get started at any time. Our suggested pathway is outlined below.
- Participate in a Strengths training.
- Complete the Student Leadership Competencies (SLCs) online training (coming soon).
- Participate in lunch and learns to dig deeper into Strengths and SLCs.
- Explore the Be Better Toolkit to for materials to help you integrate Strengths and SLCs into your everyday work with students.
- Once you receive training on Strengths and Student Leadership Competencies, you are ready to implement in your setting. Apply what you have learned through training along with the Be Better Toolkit to use Strengths and SLCs in ways that make sense with your students.
- Faculty and staff interested in listing a course or co-curricular program are encouraged to use the Be Better @ Iowa submission form. A member of the Be Better team will follow up with any additional questions and confirm the information prior to listing.
Set up a consultation
- If you would like to have a one-on-one conversation with a Be Better implementation team member on how you can implement Be Better in your setting contact email@example.com
Become a committee member
Strengths Training for the Be Better@Iowa initiative is available for sign up under your My Training tab on Self Service.
The Be Better Toolkit provides materials (outlines, handouts, activities, powerpoints, etc.) for faculty and staff implementing Strengths and Student Leadership Competencies.